Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Save Money. Eat Well.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people use the excuse “It’s too expensive to eat healthy.” Although I could make a list of why that is largely incorrect, I think I must prove it. My actions will speak louder than those words.

I grew up in a pretty frugal household. I helped cut coupons, went to discount grocery stores and dollar stores, and saw how creativity helped my mom feed 3 hungry kids and my picky dad on a limited income.   If I ever have to buy something at full price it’s usually because I am DESPERATE!  My menu is largely based on what’s on sale and what is in my pantry.

I am NOT a crazy coupon lady! I buy what I need and stock up wisely. I’m currently in my last year of graduate school pursuing my PhD in nutritional sciences, so I don't need to explain the lack of money and free time I have to work with. Nutrition and fitness is a lifestyle and a serious interest of mine, not just a career I’m pursuing. What’s the point in learning all this stuff if I can’t share it with people that need this information to have healthier lives?!

I’m starting this blog for a couple of reasons: 1) To serve as an outlet for some of the nutrition knowledge that is crammed in my brain and 2) Help people understand that eating healthy on the cheap is not impossible. I want to share what a little creativity and couponing can do for your health. Let this be a blog to help disband yet another myth about how it’s too hard to eat healthy. No more excuses!

What this blog will include
·         I will regularly share my daily intake and cost of groceries.  I will give the nutritional breakdown and cost of each meal/snack.
·         Share some of my cheap recipes and links to coupons and deals
·         Videos of my grocery shopping trips and my magical meals that I can whip up in less than 30 minutes!
·         I’m a nutrition scientist, so there may be science and nutrition facts thrown in for good fun!


Disclaimer:  I have no dietary restrictions and love all foods (minus olives)! However, I will still try to show how you can still get great discounts on organic foods and other products for people with dietary restrictions.


I hope you'll tune in regularly and together we can save money and eat well!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, good. Give me ideas. Don't know if your mom told you, but I was diagnosed with diabetes last month. The eating habits have changed quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete