Sunday, January 29, 2012

Coupons are not just for junk food!



Lots of people think that it’s not worth finding or using coupons because there are only coupons for junk food. I’ll admit that the ratio of coupons for junk food compared to more nutritious products is not equal, but there are still plenty of coupons for the good stuff. I always have coupons for healthy foods on hand: Yogurt, eggs, milk, whole grains, frozen veggies and even fresh produce.  

After my last blog, I went to Meijer to get groceries for the week. In my last blog I mentioned that you could “stack” coupons to save even more money.  That means you can use one store coupon (a coupon distributed by and only redeemable at a specific store) and one manufacturer coupon (distributed by the manufacturer of the product) per a product. Lots of stores allow "stacking" including: Meijer, HEB, CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid, so check out your local store's policy.

I did some stacking of coupons with the store sales and stocked up on some healthy staples for an unbeatable price.I wanted to highlight some of my deals to show you just how much money you could save on healthy products by using coupons I found both online and in the Sunday paper.

Smart Balance Milk (64oz) -- Regular Price: 3.99
Sale Price: 2.59
Manufacturer Coupon: $1.50 off 1
Meijer Store Coupon: $1.00 of 2
Final Price: $0.50 each (when you buy 2)!
I bought a couple because it was such a great deal. I freeze the milk and thaw it out when I need it. 


Starkist Tuna Creations Pouches (4.5oz)  -- Regular Price:  $1.79
Sale Price: $1.43
Manufacturer Coupon: $0.50/1
Meijer Store Coupon: $1.00 off 2
Final Price: $0.43/pouch!
Love this stuff! It’s predrained and makes quick and delicious tuna salad or tuna burgers (I’ll share those recipes soon!)

Splenda Essentials (80 packets) – Regular Price $4.59
Sale Price: $3.44
Manufacturer Coup: $2.00 off 1
Meijer Coup: $1.00 off 1
Final Price: $0.44/box!
We’ll save the discussion on artificial sweeteners for another day. I have one packet with my coffee every day, so I’m stocked up for a while!

 Mrs. Dash Salt Free Seasoning – Regular Price $2.99
Sale Price: 2 for $4
Meijer Coup: $1 of 2
Final Price: $1.50/each!
Flavorful salt-free seasonings that I use to spruce up my  veggies and  lean meats.

 Smart Balance Spread – Regular Price $3.29
Sale Price: 2 for $5
Manufacturer Coup: $1 off 2
Meijier Coup: $1 off 2
Final Price: $1.50 each!
There's nothing wrong with a little trans-fat free spread on my whole grain toast or steamed veggies! These spreads also freeze well.

These are just a FEW of the many awesome deals I’ve been able to score, and you can see that none of these products were junk food. So why don’t you use coupons again?!

For those of you that still think using coupons is too much effort, stay tuned for my next lesson: How to get a great deal on nutritious products without coupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment